Read Time:5 Minute, 37 Second

If you intend to visit or permanently move to Australia, you have to acquire official permission through a visa. There are several options for immigrants who wish to travel or move to Australia.

Each year the Australian government offers thousands of opportunities for immigrants of which half of the opportunities are meant to benefit skilled migrants.

Half of the remaining positions are left for family migrants as the remaining opportunities go to students who wish to pursue their studies in Australia. Depending on your need, you can apply for a visa under these categories.

Work Visa
A work visa is a permit that allows you to enter Australia to work for a designated period. A work visa is awarded either on a temporary or permanent basis to skilled workers who intend to work in Australia. While the permanent work visa gives you permanent residency in Australia, a temporary work visa allows you to work for a particular period after which you can renew the visa if your employer decides to continue benefiting from your services.

All your work visa applications have to be supported by proof of your education and work experience to enable the embassy to verify that you meet the requirements for the job.
You can check your eligibility to apply for a work visa in Australia here.

Visitor Visa
Citizens of countries other than New Zealand who wish to visit Australia need to have a visa. The standard visitor’s visa can allow you to stay for a maximum period of 3 months starting from the day you land in Australia. However, if you wish to stay longer than this, you can apply for a Long-stay Visa which allows you to stay for a maximum of 6 months. Notably, a visitor’s visa does not allow you to work in Australia.

Permanent Entry Visa
To become a permanent resident of Australia you need to be granted a Permanent Entry Visa that allows you to live in Australia without a limited period. When applying for this kind of visa you have to attain all the requirements for you to be granted this visa.

You can become a permanent resident of Australia under two categories. These two categories include migration and Humanitarian programs.
The Migration Program
This option is available for individuals who intend to move permanently to Australia. Under the Migration Program, candidates are selected based on their skills, health status, family status, and financial status. Under this program, you can get a visa if you lie between these 3 groups:

Family Migrants
Under this category, family members of migrants are allowed to seek permanent residence in Australia. To apply for a permanent visa under this category you ought to have a relative who has already settled in Australia and is ready to sponsor you.

This relative can be your child, parent, spouse, or the last remaining person in your family. Under the family migrant category, one can apply for these visas:
Adoption visa (subclass 102)
Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 114)
Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 838)
Aged Parent visa (subclass 804)
Carer visa (subclass 836)
Carer visa (subclass 116)
Child visa (subclass 101)
Child visa (subclass 802)
Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)
Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864)
Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)
Dependent Child visa (subclass 445)
New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (temporary) visa (subclass 461)
Orphan Relative (subclass 117)
Orphan Relative (subclass 837)
Parent visa (subclass 103)
Partner (Provisional and Migrant) visa (subclass 309 100)
Partner visa (subclass 820 801)
Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)
Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115)
Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835)
Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 870)
Skilled Migrants

Under this category, interested candidates can apply for permanent Australian residence if they;
Are skilled migrants who have been linked by a family member who is ready to sponsor them in Australia.
Are skilled migrants who have been nominated by an Australian employer.

Are talented migrants who have exhibited excellent skills in sports and art.
Are skilled migrants who are already working in Australia for a short period.
Under the skilled migrant category, one can apply for these visas:
Global Talent visa (subclass 858)
Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
The investor visa (subclass 891)
Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191)
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187)
Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 494)
Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
Skilled-Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476)
Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408)
Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403)
Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400)
Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)

Business Migrants
To apply for a permanent visa attached under this category, you need to have excelled significantly in business. This visa is meant for investors and business people who intend to settle permanently in Australia. Under the business migrant category, one can apply for these visas:

Business Innovation and Investment (permanent) visa (subclass 888)
Business Innovation and Investment (provisional) visa (subclass 188)
Business Owner (subclass 890)
Business Talent (Permanent) visa (subclass 132)

The Humanitarian Program
Each year the Australian Government sets aside several opportunities for refugees and other humanitarian entrants from all parts of the world. Hence individuals who are in a refugee-like situation can apply for permanent residence in Australia under the Humanitarian Program. Under this program, you can apply for these visas:

Global Special Humanitarian (subclass 202)
Protection visa (subclass 866)
Refugee visas (subclass 200, 201, 203 and 204)
Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785)
Safe Haven Enterprise visa (subclass 790)
Student Visa

Every year several opportunities are given to international students to pursue their studies in Australia through student visas. Student visas are divided into various categories with each category bearing different descriptions and requirements. Under the student visa category, one can apply for these visas:

Student visa (Subclass 500)
This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the period of your study and with it, you can work for 40 hours every 2 weeks. The visa can be used to either pursue primary and secondary education, vocational education and training, higher education, and postgraduate research.

Training visa (Subclass 407)
This is a temporary visa that enables you to work for up to 2years in Australia in your area of study. It is meant to equip individuals with the right skills for professional development.

Student Guardian (Subclass 590)
The Student Guardian Visa allows certain individuals to stay in Australia with a student particularly when the student needs a guardian. It is usually granted when the student is under the age of 18 years.

All international students and other scholars must make the applications online by creating an account on ImmiAccount.

0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
4 Star
3 Star
2 Star
1 Star

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.